May 4, 2011

Poetry Is...

Poetry is?
The Stork asks,
his beady eyes darting to
and fro.
omigod!
I do not know –
I DO NOT KNOW!

He stands there on one leg asking me
to define the indefinable.
What is Poetry?
Some sort of verse?
Must it rhyme?  Must it flow?
omigod…  I don’t know!

The stork paces,
waiting for my answer,
waiting for me to speak.
If I don’t tell him,
he will gouge my eyes with his beak.
I hear the tick of the clock:
Poetry is… Poetry is… Poetry is…

I bet Whitman could have told him,
even Tennyson, Keats or Thoreau…
But as for me,
I do not know.
I do not know.


copyright © 2011 Kevin Routh

3 comments:

  1. poetry is you,

    dynamic, and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. invite you to join our poetry picnic today,

    1 to 3 random poems are welcome for first time participants, you can also write for our theme,

    best.

    hope to see your participation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this! It's easier to say what is not poetry than what is. Like all arts, often it is only in the eye of the beholder that any determination can be made. Well written.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...