August 10, 2011

The Treasure

The little girl lets go of her Daddy’s hand. 

She unzips her pink Hannah Montana backpack and carefully pulls out the treasure - a lopsided, glazed pot with a single word painted on the side.

Mommy

She feels her heart start to beat faster as she gazes lovingly at the pot.

For a moment, she closes her eyes, slowly breathes in the summer afternoon air and listens to the birds singing.

She imagines what her Mommy will think when she sees this wonderful treasure that she has created for her.

She pictures being swooped up, being covered with kisses and Mommy telling her how much she loves her.

A single tear rolls down her cheek as the little girl gently places the treasure along with a handful of dandelions on the grave.

I made this for you today in school.

I miss you Mommy.

She then grabs her Daddy’s hand and walks slowly back to the car.



copyright © 2011 Kevin Routh

7 comments:

  1. So, this comment will probably be a bit of a disappointment for you, as you were probably expecting something related to this post, but it's not.

    I am a bit late, but I was just dropping by to say thinks for the compliment on my "Food for Thought or Not" post over at the Gallery No. 3.

    I post my work anonymously because I am listed as one of the blog owners, and I do not want people falsely assuming that I somehow skew FOTM voting results. A bit paranoid, but it is a caution I have learned to take from all my years of group work in school.

    Glad you liked the post, and I was wondering if anybody wold actually take the time to translate the binary. Keep up the poetry and submit more of your stuff soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I liked this. I was not sure why she would be crying and then we were told where she is. Nice. It works well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the shift of perspective at the end gives the beginning of the poem an entirely different feel. Sad yet sweet.

    Also, I thought you'd like to know that your blog has won an award - just check out my latest blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the twist at the end, gives the opening lines of the poem an entirely different feel. Sad yet sweet.

    Also, I thought you'd like to know that your blog has won an award - just check out my latest blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was a sad and a moving post :(
    liked how u suddenly twisted it in the end. touched me!

    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this is both sweet and sad. I was expecting that the girl would be disappointed, but didn't anticipate your ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, thank you for visiting my blog, and your nice comment. I'm fairly new to Poetry Pantry. In my first participation, the pantry was pretty lonely.

    This is a lovely piece, and very real to me. My mother died when I was nine, and I never knew what to do with the lopsided gifts I made for her in school.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...