September 15, 2011

despite all my rage...


this glass house surrounds me
holds me captive
as i walk
naked
exposed
from wall to wall
pacing back and forth
frantically searching
for an exit
for an escape

the others
drink from sterile metal teats
eat sterile processed food
occasionally scrabbling up
to blindly run on a wheel
that goes nowhere
blissfully unaware
that they are also incarcerated in this glass prison
they are idiots and i despise them



copyright © 2011 Kevin Routh

Written for The Thursday Think Tank prompt - Glass Houses

12 comments:

  1. Love this blog post! A really interesting read! Followed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this! Whether taken literally or read as extended metaphor, it has such telling points to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the second part of your poem surprised me.. now with that picture...nowhere..unaware... poor tests animals for study....

    nice take on this glass house ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing everything from a hamster's point of view makes everything so different. Powerful poem. I liked the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very different read..yes they are selfish idiots! touching!


    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very powerful!

    I really like this and echo Rosemary's astute comment.

    An excellent piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great poem, from the rat pack perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all! This was my first 'poetry prompt'. I had a lot of fun doing this.
    When I wrote the first line, I had no idea where I was going with it - I pictured rats in a big glass terrarium and it just kind of evolved from there. If you think about it, a lot of us are just a rat in a cage...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Powerful... I just love it when my muse does the typing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. loved this poem a lot. but the powerful emotions it paint, about a slick glasshouse in a lab for animal testing. do those animals ever know their final fate till it dawns upon them? are we humans living in similar glasshouses. beautiful and thoughtful words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting perspective.. of a mice? or human?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...