September 17, 2011

the grouch

the grouch gazed out his window one day
rainbows and sunshine and rabbits at play
green was the ground and blue was the sky
and dancing on the wind was a butter-utter-fly
the squirrely-squirrels laughed and played in the trees
the flowers were abuzz with buzz-buzzy bees
the birds sang their songs
the ants marched along
and the grouch just complained all day long

“rainbows make me dizzy”
“sunshine makes me burn”
“the butter-utter-flies never listen”
“the squirrely-squirrels never learn”
“green grass makes me itchy”
“blue skies give me chills”
“buzz-buzzy bees like to sting me”
“and bird songs make me ill”

“excuse me,” a voice said, tiny and small
“that’s really not how you should be acting – at all”
the grouch looked down at his window sill
and there sat a lady-ady bug, “hi, my name is jill”
“you shouldn’t be grouchy because of these things”
“they’re all just part of the joy that life brings”
“come out and play with me – come out and have fun”
“come run, dance and sing before summer is done”

the grouch was silent for a minute or ten
he stood there and stared at the lady-ady bug - then
the grouch closed his windows
the curtains he pulled shut
there was no sign of movement
from his grouchy-ouchy hut

jill lowered her head and let out a sigh
a tiny little tear fell from her tiny little eye
“poor mr grouch – i wish he could see”
“what a great summer day like this really means to me”

“the rainbows are so pretty”
“the sunshine is so bright”
“butter-utter-flies make me giggle”
“and squirrely-squirrels are a sight”
“the green grass is so nice and cool”
“the blue skies make me happy”
“the buzz-buzzy bees give me delicious honey”
“and the bird songs are so snappy”

then a muffled voice behind her made jill look up with a start
and what she saw then brought joy to her tiny little heart
“excuse me,” the grouch said – a shy smile upon his face
“no one has ever invited me out into this place”
“i sit alone all day long in my grouchy-ouchy house”
“i sit in there in silence – as quiet as a mouse”
“i listen to all the laughter and all the critters play”
“i sit there all by myself every single day”
“but you dear jill have brought my loneliness to an end”
“for you have become - my very first friend”



copyright © 2011 Kevin Routh

12 comments:

  1. very stunning job, my friend.

    welcome to the party.

    it is never too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, perfect from beginning to end :)It makes me smile every-time I read it and I think I will have it memorized very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An awesome childrens poem! Great message, and written in a most entertaining manner. Very well done!
    http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/what-about-the-cow-2/

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are truly into it,


    well done story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a most enjoyable entry,
    a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beyond lovely! Such a strong message and beautifully done! I found myself laughing at more than one line :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://bluebellbooks.blogspot.com/2011/09/story-of-week-short-story-slam-week-10.html

    your entry is featured here.

    welcome join our week 11 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fresh and delightful ! And what a presentation !
    http://writer-in-transit.co.za/bubble-bravado/

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic! I enjoyed your words and eventually the feel good message! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...