October 18, 2011

The Beginning


In the beginning there was only blackness.  The universe was devoid of light and substance. 

There was nothing. 

Until the voice…

“Oh my God!”

The voice pulled me from the abyss, the nothingness.

“He’s back!”

A woman’s voice.

“Jerry, it’s me.  Wake up!” 

A beautiful voice. 

“Speak to me Jerry.”

A voice full of concern and alarm, but beautiful nonetheless.

“Oh please open your eyes!”

The voice was more insistent this time.  A tinge of desperation in the voice made me realize that whoever was speaking to me was close to panic.  I became aware of other noises and voices, but I only focused on her voice.

“Jerry!”  The voice sounded terrified now.

I slowly opened my eyes and a woman’s face gradually came in to focus. 

I blinked my eyes several times trying to get through the haze.  I didn’t recognize the woman, but she was as captivating as her voice.  She had light strawberry blonde hair pulled back off of her face.  Intense red rimmed green eyes brimming with tears peered at me with worry.  She wore no makeup and had freckles on her cheeks and her nose.  There were small wrinkles in the corners of her eyes and around her mouth that told me that - even though it was currently covered with a look of fear, this was a face that was no stranger to smiles and laughter.

“Oh, thank God Jerry!” 

The woman wore a white lab coat and was kneeling on the floor next to me.  I seemed to be lying naked on a cold floor in the middle of a large, white room.  Powerful bright lights shining down on me made it hard to see all the commotion in the room.  Several other people in matching white lab coats were bustling about the room shouting excitedly at each other as they stared down at me and examined print outs and computer screens. 

A small mousy looking man with thinning gray hair and thick John Lennon glasses scurried over and carefully covered my body with a white sheet that seemed to be designed more for my modesty and less for keeping me warm.

It was then that I became aware of the intense pain.  I felt as though I had been hit by a bus.  My head was pounding and my internal organs felt like they were on fire.  A moan rumbled up from my throat.

“It’s okay Jerry,” the woman soothed me with her voice and caressed my face with her hand, “We’ll get you fixed up.  You’re going to be okay.”

An older woman in a white lab coat swabbed my shoulder with rubbing alcohol. “You sure are lucky young man,” she said as she stuck me with a syringe.  “We thought we were going to lose you for a minute there.  But thanks to Doctor Martin here,” she smiled at the beautiful woman who was still cradling my head in her lap, “we got you back.” 

Back from where?

I opened my mouth to speak, but I was unable to produce anything other than an unintelligible gurgle.  I struggled to sit up, but the world turned upside down and everything went black again as I tumbled back into the void…

copyright © 2011 Kevin Routh

3 comments:

  1. This story captured me from the beginning. The short story is an art of its own and this would seem to fit comfortably into the pre-requisites required. Once finished I went back to the start and read it again. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now need to wait for the next installment :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was captivated! I'm waiting for the next episode.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...