October 27, 2011

Stars (for Sammi)

“We live beneath the stars.”
Father always said.
As he kissed me goodnight
and tucked me into bed.

“They watch down over us
as we sleep and as we dream.”
“Flowing through the night sky
like water in a stream.”

“But why?” asked I.

“Can’t I reach up
into the night and feel?”
“I want to hold them in my hands
so I know that they are real.”

“I want to grab the stars and clutch
 so tightly on to them.”
“Like they were a precious rock,
or a sparkly gem…”

“Silly girl,” Father said
as he smiled down at me.
“You cannot collect the stars
like pretty shells from the sea.”

“Now hush my precious little girl,
not another peep.”
“Lay your head down and close your eyes
it is time for you to sleep.”

After Father had left
and turned off all the lights -
came a glow from under my pillow
so brilliant and so white.

A star I had grabbed earlier,
lay twinkling on my bed.
I smiled - then slept
with it tucked underneath my head.


copyright © 2011 Kevin Routh

11 comments:

  1. If only we could pluck the stars from the sky but in a fairy tale world I guess we can. Delightful poem, magical feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it.. thrs something lovely and mysterious about the stars!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. children seem to know so much more than we know

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written with magical enchantment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story! She catches a star like it's a firefly. :)

    I'm sharing a rhyming book review and one of my usual wacky news rhymes at the Poetry Pantry this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sweet, took me somewhere. Please check out my poems http://mypoemsorarethey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful conclusion, I love the idea of the star tucked into her head. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh the wonders of a child's dreams! never underestimate that power! beautiful tale!!!

    http://magicinthebackyard.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/singing-myself-to-wake/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...