November 17, 2011

solitude

sitting alone in this empty
dark
house
loneliness crawls over me
burrowing into my skin
like maggots
the air is thick with silence
making me struggle to breathe
as i gasp for
air
silent voices fill the room
shouting at me from these desolate walls
revealing my sadness and my grief
i run to the bathroom to splash water in my face
a man looks at me from the mirror
my doppelganger
identical in every way
except
he is older and not
quite
as handsome as i
we share a smile
and a laugh
as the voices
the silence
and the loneliness
disappear


 copyright © 2011 Kevin Routh



Thank you Thursday Poets Rally for this Perfect Poem Award
I nominate Dennis Go for the next award.

18 comments:

  1. I so relate to "he is older and not as handsome as I"........great line! I enjoyed this poem very much. Humor - the best antidote to despair ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi this is my first time on your blog. I really like this poem, it's very original and conveys something dark yet beautiful about the way you see yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we're not really who we really are... if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the inner image of ourself, versus to what we look like in the mirror can be both different people.

    Interesting write ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'identical in every way
    except
    he is older and not
    quite
    as handsome as i' love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great imagery to describe the unearthing of age. How we change inward n' out~ Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could feel the pain in lines....so well written..!
    Amazing Agony!!


    ~Keep the Spark ALive..

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a deep man Kevin....brilliant writing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. we share a smile
    and a laugh
    as the voices
    the silence
    and the loneliness
    disappear


    yes, it's amazing how just a chuckle or a smile from someone else can change our mood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well deserved award, Thanks for honoring it,

    welcome to poets rally week 58 tomorrow.

    best.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gripping. I love this poem. If you haven't already submitted it for publication or award, please do so. Getting ready to look at the rest of your site (cuz)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very gripping and compelling imagery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...