April 9, 2012

the ledge


young lady
in a business suit
sitting quietly on the narrow ledge
her feet dangling 
far above the earth
wind blowing her auburn hair

she looks down at all the 
people scurrying
rushing
to get from point a
to point b
she closes her eyes
and lets a sigh escape

up here she is free
she is removed
from her pain
from her disappointment
from her sadness

she smiles 
feeling the warmth of the sun on her face
she breathes in the cool afternoon air
spreads out her arms
and jumps
















copyright © 2012 Kevin Routh

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Taken literally, the letting go process (the surrendering to her circumstances and jumping)is very sad. But taken figuratively, letting go of the stress and sadness of life can be somewhat peaceful (if not a little scary). Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I think I go through this mentally almost everyday in a sense - find a place of peace and dream of what it would be to free from the rat race.

    A melancholy yet somehow hopeful piece, and I like the change in mood between each stanza, like the process of clearing the mind of stress itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diego! Even though she jumped at the end, I found this very peaceful. I guess it's up to the reader to decide if this is figurative or literal... :)

      Delete
  3. I tried to email you but maybe you can email me instead. flipaul@yahoo.com
    I wrote a kids book. I don't know if it needs to have a sing-songy voice ala Dr. Seuss or if it is OK as prose. You strike me as a guy who has read to his kids a fair amount. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I finally replied to your email - I'd love to take a look at your book! Sorry I didn't reply sooner - my Gmail was flooded with spam.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...