April 20, 2012

pretentious twit in a coffee shop


if you gaze long into an abyss
he paused
taking a drag from the
unfiltered turkish cigarette
“the abyss will gaze back into you"
he looked at her with an
oft-practiced
sideways ironic glance
his left eyebrow was arched
and his legs were crossed indifferently
he wore a knit hat
very carefully made to look
like it had been
thrown on at the last minute
the smoke from his cigarette
floated around his head like a
gray nicotine halo

“that’s nietzsche
he continued
as if he knew who nietzsche 
actually was
he gave her his best smoldering look
and then started to talk about jazz
when she eventually sighed and
turned away
he looked down
took a sip of his double espresso
and continued
pretending to read




copyright © 2012 Kevin Routh

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant - I've known men like that (and women).

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those guys. And by love, I mean I wish harm upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this very much indeed. There wis something fresh and unexpected in almost every line. A great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this guy! I love this, Kevin. I think it'll hang in my mind for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the part "as if he new who Nietzsche was" because so many people never read him and don't really understand what he was about

    organize

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...