June 28, 2012

red


her crimson cape
is pulled tight against her body
the hood covers her golden yellow locks
as she runs beneath the harvest moon
her heart beats faster and faster
she knows the wolf is close
she can feel him

his controlled, even breathing
and the sound of new-fallen snow
crunching beneath his paws
are the only sounds he makes
as he swiftly lopes down the hillside
he knows the girl is close
he can feel her

they run through the snow covered fields
predator and prey
hunter and hunted
suddenly in a clearing they both stop
as they come face to face
they both know
that the chase is now over

a cacophony of howling, screaming
bloodlust and pain
instantly fill the once peaceful valley
the pure white snow 
is forever stained red
as the sound of ripping flesh
eventually replaces the screaming

the two forms are now still
silence fills the valley
the girl’s red cape
and the wolf’s brown fur
are melded together
motionless
under the grey winter sky

the young girl lays in the snow
her once beautiful face and ivory skin
is now stained with blood
her eyes flicker open
she raises her face to the moon and howls
as she licks the blood of her foe from her ruby lips
she smiles triumphantly
now she will take care of those 3 bears…





















copyright © 2012 Kevin Routh

24 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    A most fantastic 'take' on that old story of Red Riding Hood. What a blood curdling ending!!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, THAT is truly a fractured fairy tale!!!! So well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! My son is a teenager and I got my inspiration for this one from him. :)

      Delete
  3. Red Riding Hood with fangs! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo... she was the one to be scared of, if only the poor old wolf had known to steer well clear. Nasty Red ... LOL
    This was quite the twist ...made me chuckle, thank you and, thanks for visiting my blog and for such a lovely comment too.
    Really enjoyed this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Daydreamertoo!

      Delete
  5. exactly...he really never had a chance, did he? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Kevin. I'm glad I stopped in. Those last few lines are tastefully twisted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped in too Sara! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Your poem really carried me along as I read. The endingyielded an interesting surprise! And yes, now onto the three bears! Thanks for visiting my blog, and I am glad that I had opportunity to visit yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. The drama builds beautifully in the early stanzas, but nothing prepares us for the ending - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and dave must have read the same books, great twist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kevin well done! Loved the set up and the twist at the end . I had a feeling you were going to surprise me:-) Great poem

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful twist and you carried the tale so well~
    I enjoyed your take on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...